Serves 6-8 for bolognese or lasagne. Scale down the mince to 500g for 2-4 person bolognese, and based on your preference you can change to 1 tin of tomatoes.
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 750g lean beef mince
- 100ml red wine
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced or finely chopped
- 2 tins of plum tomatoes
- 1 200g tube of tomato puree
- Dash of Worcestershire sauce
- Dry basil
- Dry oregano
- Garlic granules (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan on a medium-high heat.
- Add the mince and use a whisk to break it up and remove any chunks. Cook the mince until all of the liquid has evaporated and the meat is starting to brown/stick to the pan (don’t worry, it will come off).
- Season the mince with salt and pepper and add the red wine. About 100ml is fine.
- Cook for a few minutes to release the alcohol and then add the onions and garlic.
- Cook for another 5mins or so to soften the onions then add the tinned tomatoes.
- Add about 2/3 of the puree, the Worcestershire sauce, a good sprinkle of basil, oregano and garlic granules.
- Re-season with salt and pepper and add a small pinch of sugar.
- Turn down to simmer with a lid on for 30mins-1hr