- 1 large mango, pureed in a blender
- 500ml/18fl oz double cream
- 1 vanilla pod/1-2tsp vanilla extract
- 75g/4oz caster sugar (plus extra for the topping)
- 6 free-range egg yolks
- Preheat the oven to 150C/140C Fan/Gas 2.
- Pour the cream into a saucepan.
- Bring the cream to boiling point, then reduce the heat and simmer gently for five minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a separate bowl, beat the sugar, vanilla and egg yolks together in a large heatproof bowl until fluffy.
- Bring the cream back to boiling point, then pour it over the egg mixture, whisking continuously until thickened.
- Fill the six ramekins with a layer of pureed mango on the bottom, then fill them to about two-thirds full with the mixture.
- Place the ramekins into a large roasting tray and fill with enough hot water to come halfway up their outsides (a bain-marie).
- Place the bain-marie onto the middle shelf of the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the custards are just set but still a bit wobbly in the middle.
- Remove the ramekins from the water and set aside to cool to room temperature.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle one level teaspoon of caster sugar evenly over the surface of each crème brûlée, then caramelise with a chefs’ blowtorch.