- 575ml of milk
- 1-2tsp vanilla extract
- 6 egg yolks
- 2tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- Pour the milk into a saucepan and put on a low heat so that it comes to a gentle simmer
- In the mean time, beat the eggs, sugar and cornflour together in a large heatproof bowl.
- When the milk is hot and simmering, take it off the heat and add the vanilla essence.
- Pour the milk onto the egg mixture and make sure you keep stirring it (or whisking)
- Put the mixture back into the saucepan and back on a low heat.
- Keep stirring until it thickens.