For the shortbread
- 175g/6oz unsalted butter
- 75g/2.5oz golden caster sugar
- Seeds from 1 vanilla pod OR 1tsp vanilla extract
- 225g/8oz plain flour
For the caramel
- 200g/7oz unsalted butter
- 1x 397g tin of condensed milk
- 4tbsp golden syrup
- 1tsp sea salt
For the topping
- 100-150g milk chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas Mark 4
- Grease and line a 20cm square tin
- Rub the butter, sugar, vanilla and flour together to form a rough dough – don’t worry if it doesn’t all come together, it should be crumbly
- Press the dough into the tin evenly and prick it all over with a fork
- Bake the dough for 5 mins then turn the oven down to 150C/Gas Mark 2 and bake for another 35 mins.
- Remove the tin from the oven and let the base cool in the tin
- Now you can make the caramel. Add all of the ingredients to a large saucepan and bring to the boil for 10mins. I’d recommend stirring for the whole time even before it starts boiling.
- After 10mins, the mixture should be golden and now you can pour it over the biscuit base. Use a spoon to level it all out.
- Put your tin in the fridge to cool the caramel until it’s cool and slightly hardened.
- For the topping, add the chocolate to a bowl and melt it over a sauce pan of simmering water.
- Once melted, pour the chocolate over the caramel and level it out.
- Return to the fridge to let it set.
- Cut into as many or as few pieces as you like 🙂