- Crusty loaf of bread
- Red or green pesto (optional – depends what you like)
- 1 red onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- Cherry tomatoes
- Fresh basil
- Mozzarella (optional)
- Parmesan (optional)
- Heat your oven to 200C/180C fan
- Slice the crusty bread, brush one side with oil and place oil side down on an oven tray. Bake for 5mins or until crunchy on top.
- Chop the onion and garlic and very lightly fry for a couple of minutes to soften and sweeten the flavour. Take off the heat to cool.
- Chop the tomatoes into small pieces and toss in a bowl with olive oil, salt, pepper and fresh basil.
- Stir in the onion and garlic mixture.
- If you’re using it, spread a thin layer of the pesto on the oiled side of the bread.
- Layer with the topping mixture.
- If you’re adding mozzarella, place it on top and melt it under the grill.
- Sprinkle with black pepper and parmesan.