Serves 2 people
- 2x duck legs (use 4 legs for 4 people or a whole duck cut into pieces)
- Sea salt
- 1 small onion
- 1 stick of celery
- 1 carrot
- 125ml red wine
- A sprig of fresh rosemary
- 2-3 fresh sage leaves (optional)
- A spring of fresh thyme (optional)
- 1x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- A pinch of ground cinnamon (optional)
- 250ml hot vegetable stock
- Parmesan to serve
- Place a large high sided frying pan over a high heat. Add the duck pieces, season with salt and seal on all sides.
- Finely chop the onion, celery and carrot.
- Pour the wine into the pan and quickly put a lid on it as it will spit fiercely.
- Leave it to bubble for a minute, then add the chopped vegetables and herbs.
- Reduce to a medium heat and fry for 10mins, or until softened.
- Add the cinnamon, tomatoes and stock, and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 2 hours. Top up with more stock if needed.
- Remove the duck to a plate and discard the herbs from the sauce. Keep it warm on a low heat.
- Shred the duck meat and stir it back into the ragu.
- Cook your pasta (pappardelle works really well with this) and then add to the ragu.
- Serve with grated parmesan