Serves 2 people
Chef’s tip: You can either use a casserole for the whole process or use a frying pan and oven dish which is how I’ll describe it.
- 600g stewing beef (either casserole beef or brisket is fine) cut into chunks
- 1 onion
- 2 carrots
- 2 sticks of celery
- 3 bay leaves
- 1tbsp butter
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1.5tbsp plain flour
- 1.5tbsp tomato puree
- 1.5tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 beef stock cube (I use Knorr)
- 400ml boiling water
- 100ml red wine
- Preheat your oven to 150C/140C Fan/Gas 2
- Heat the butter and oil in a large frying pan on a medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, carrots, celery and bay leaves and soften for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour in and stir until it’s not dusty anymore.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce, puree, stock cube, water and wine.
- Stir until it simmers
- Add the beef and simmer for 5 mins.
- Transfer to an oven dish/casserole dish, cover and cook for 2hrs.
- Uncover and cook for another 30mins until the sauce has thickened up and the meat is super soft.