- Roasting joint of beef (silverside/topside/small roaster)
- 2 onions
- 4-5 cloves of garlic
- Olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Preheat oven to 240C/220C Fan
- Peel the onions and cut them in half. Place them face down with the garlic (unpeeled) in a roasting dish
- Place the beef joint on top, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper
- Add about 50-100ml of water to the bottom of the pan to stop the veg from burning
- Put it in the middle of the oven and turn down the heat immediately to 200C/180C Fan
- Check the cooking time of your joint but generally follow the rule of 20mins per 450g/1lb for rare and then add an extra 10-15mins for medium and another 15mins for well done.
- Make sure you baste the beef with the juices at least twice during cooking and add more water if necessary.
- Remove from the oven, cover with foil and let it stand for 10-15mins before carving.