Ingredients (serves 4-6 people)
For the meatballs:
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 500-600g mince (beef, pork or a mix of both)
- 100g breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 50ml milk or single cream
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
For the sauce:
- 25g butter
- 25g plain flour
- 100ml white wine
- 500ml beef stock
- 2tbsp single cream
Serve with creamy mash and lingonberry jam or redcurrant jelly
- Preheat oven to 200C/180C Fan
- Add all the meatball ingredients to a large bowl or mixer and mix until combined.
- Roll meatballs about the size of golf balls and place on a baking tray. Cook for around 20 mins or until browned
- Once the balls are in the oven, get your mash going. Peel and boil your potatoes.
- Now for the sauce. Add the butter to a large frying pan (make sure it will hold the meatballs later) and once it melts, add the flour. Mix together to make a roux and stir for a few minutes.
- Add the white wine and whisk vigorously until it’s all incorporated.
- Gradually add the beef stock, mixing along the way to avoid lumps.
- Let the sauce thicken up on a low heat and then add the cream and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the meatballs to the sauce and simmer for 5-10mins while you mash up your potatoes.