Serves 4 people
- 500g beef mince
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1-2tsp hot chilli powder
- 1tsp cumin seeds OR 1-2tsp cumin powder
- 2tsp ground coriander
- 2tbsp plain flour
- 450ml stock made with one beef stock cube (or try 300ml water with 1 cube plus 150ml red wine)
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 400g tin of red kidney beans
- 3tbsp tomato puree
- 1tsp caster sugar
- 1tsp dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- Sea salt
- Put a large non-stick saucepan on a medium heat with a little oil and add the mince.
- Once browned, add the garlic, 1-2 teaspoons of chilli powder (depends how hot you want it), the cumin and coriander. Cook together for another 2mins.
- Sprinkle over the flour and stir well
- Add the wine/stock slowly, stirring constantly.
- Add the tomatoes, kidney beans, puree, sugar, oregano and bay leaf.
- Season with salt and pepper, and stir it all together.
- Bring it to a simmer, then reduce the heat and put a lid on it.
- Simmer gently for 45mins, stirring occasionally until the mince is soft and the sauce is thicker.