Serves 2-4 people
- 450-500g fillet of beef
- English mustard
- 250g chestnut mushrooms
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 tbsp breadcrumbs (optional)
- 1 fresh spring of rosemary
- 4-6 slices of parma ham
- Puff pastry (I buy pre-rolled but if not you’ll need to roll it out to about A4 size)
- 1 egg
- Salt and pepper
- Put a frying pan on a high heat and once hot, add about a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Sear the meat in the pan – about a minute on each side and then quickly do the ends.
- Place the meat on a chopping board/plate and brush it all over with English mustard.
- Add the mushrooms, garlic, breadcrumbs (if using), salt and pepper to a blender and whizz up until it resembles fine breadcrumbs
- Get a dry frying pan on a medium heat and tip the mushroom mixture in. The idea here is to cook out all of the moisture so this might take a little while.
- Once completely dry, leave the mixture to one side until it has cooled down.
- In the mean time, lay out some cling film and lay your parma ham along it, making sure they overlap each other
- Spread the mushroom mixture over the ham, leaving about half an inch at the top and bottom of where you’ll roll it.
- Place the beef on top.
- Use the clingfilm to help roll the beef in the ham and wrap it up in the clingfilm like a sausage. Put it in the fridge to set.
- Roll out more clingfilm and place your pastry on top. Preheat your oven to 200C/180C Fan.
- Get the beef from the fridge and place it on the pastry. Again use the clingfilm to wrap the beef in the pastry. Trim the pastry so that you have just enough to go round the beef without overlapping.
- Tuck the pastry at both ends and wrap up like a sausage in the clingfilm. Leave this in the fridge for 5-10mins to set.
- Unwrap the package and place on a baking tray. Brush with beaten egg yolk and use the back of a knife to slice patterns in the top of the pastry (don’t go through it!). You could also use the spare pastry to make shapes on top.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and then cook in the oven for 35-40mins until the pastry is golden brown.
- Cut into 1cm slices and serve 🙂