You will need two cake tins (approx 20cm)
Ingredients for the Cake
- 4 eggs
- 225g caster sugar
- 225g softened butter
- 225g self-raising flour
- 2tsp baking powder
Ingredients for buttercream filling (double the recipe if you want to cover the cake as well)
- 75g unsalted butter at room temperature – it should be soft
- 170g icing sugar
- 2 tbsp milk
- Drop of vanilla extract (optional)
- Strawberry jam
Ingredients for fresh strawberries and cream filling
- 300ml double cream
- 3 tsp caster sugar
- Fresh strawberries
- Heat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas Mark 5
- Grease the base and sides of your tins with butter and then line the base with baking paper.
- Crack the eggs into a large bowl, add the rest of the ingredients and use an electric hand mixer to mix until smooth. You can also use a wooden spoon for this.
- Divide the mixture between the two tins and bake for about 25mins or until the cakes are golden – check them after 20mins.
- First, beat the butter in a bowl for about 5 minutes until it’s really smooth and lighter in colour.
- Add half of the icing sugar and beat again, then add the rest and keep beating until it’s all mixed.
- Add the milk (and vanilla if using) and beat some more until it’s a smooth almost white paste.
- Pour the cream and sugar into a mixing bowl and use a whisk or electric mixer to beat them until it thickens into a paste.
- Slice the strawberries.
- Once the cakes have cooled down, use a bread knife or cake wire to level them out.
- Use a piping bag or icing gun to cover the top of one cake with buttercream or cream mixture. Top that with a layer of jam or make a nice pattern with the strawberries.
- Place the second cake on top and dust with icing sugar.