Serves 4-6 people
Chef’s Tip: Try my custard recipe which goes perfectly with this crumble!
For the filling:
- 3-4 cooking apples
- 100-120g blackberries
- 30g unsalted butter
- 30g demerera sugar (or golden caster sugar)
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
For the crumble:
- 50g golden caster sugar
- 100g plain flour
- 80g butter
- Optional: 1tbsp soft brown sugar
- Optional: 2tbsp ground almonds
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6
- Peel and chop the apples into small cubes.
- Put the butter and sugar in a medium/large saucepan and melt together over a medium heat until it turns into a light caramel (around 3mins).
- Stir in the apples and cook for 3-5mins.
- Add the blackberries and cinnamon and cook for another 3mins.
- Cover with a lid and remove from the heat to sit for another few minutes while you make the topping.
- Add the sugar, flour and butter to a mixing bowl.
- At this point you can also add the optional ingredients which I highly recommend!
- Use your hands to combine the ingredients until they are crumbly.
- Sprinkle the topping over your filling and bake for 10mins or until golden and crunchy on top.