Chef’s Tip: You could also use a masher to smooth out lumps in your sauce.
- 450g chopped cooking apples
- 25g caster sugar
- Dash of lemon juice
- 2fl.oz. water
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Teaspoon of butter (maybe a little more)
- Chop the apples and put in a saucepan with all the ingredients
- Cook on a medium heat for 15mins.
- Then whisk to desired consistency – the more you whisk, the smoother the sauce.
Jamie Oliver’s recipe – serves 6 so I usually make half a batch for 2-4 people. This recipe is the full batch so just halve the ingredients if you need.
- 250g self raising flour
- 125g cold unsalted butter
- Add the flour to a mixing bowl and then grate the butter into it
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper
- Use your fingers to rub the mixture together until it forms breadcrumbs
- Add a splash of water to help bind it together
- Roll the mixture into dumplings of your desired size
- Place the dumplings on top of your fully cooked stew and press down lightly so that they’re half submerged
- Cook for 20-30mins at 190C/170C Fan with a lid on